Monday, May 4, 2009

Nashville Half Marathon




Since January my roommates from 121 Center St. at MSU have been planning to get together to run a half marathon. It's was a weekend I've been looking forward to since Kristen planted the idea in our heads. Though the training was minimal, the mission was completed and we had an incredible time in the process. We arrived at our hotel on Friday afternoon and had been laughing since the moment we were all in the same car. I knew this was going to be just what I needed away from Knoxville and PA school. However, I kept letting the idea that I was running 13.1 miles the next morning slip my mind. We graced corral 10 about 6:50am, ready to go. At this point it was already 70 degress and the sun was just peaking over the Nashville skyline, it would gradually climb to about 85 and the sun would be out in full force.

The run was rough, probably one of my most challenging in my long running career but having 3 incredible friends running with me (and a little bit of stubborness) kept putting one foot in front of the other and Jessie and I crossed the finish line just 2 hours and 21 short minutes after we started. Once I streched the cramps out of my calves and hamstrings and replenshed my water, I started walking backwards down the course to meet up with a fellow classmate brave enough to face the full marathon on this beautifully miserable day. I ran what I could with her and was able to help carry the, self-proclaimed, Torr-nado across the finish line. The entire experience has motivated me to think about trying to complete another full. I'm so proud of Torrey for finding what it took inside to finish the race and not give up. Three of my other classmates also ran the half marathon and we all wore purple shirts in honor of a fellow classmates father who was recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma.



We went out to a dueling piano bar that night after a cold shower, Gigi's gourmet cupcakes and a good nap. (It was 85, sunny and we were on "vacation" in Nashville and we laid in our beds in the hotel for a good portion of the afternoon, lame). By about 11 we were all too tired to make a decision about whether or not to move on to the next bar and explore Nashville or go to bed so, we went to bed.



After a beautiful, sunny weekend, 13.1 miles, and a dozen jort's pictures with awkward poses the three other former girls of 121 center street boarded their planes and went back to their hometowns. It was an incredible weekend and we're already thinking about the next one.

Here's the breakdown of the dedications to the people most important to me for all 13 miles:
Mile 1: The 47 people I sit in class with everyday. This one's for you Lisa!! ;)
Mile 2: Chappell's Angels. My love for running was established and grew with these 12 girls and they're some of the best friend's I've ever had.
Mile 3: Chappell. Mrawwww.
Mile 4: The HHS Cross Country and Track teams. From volunteering to coach while I was in transition I met some inspiring teenagers and a great friend.
Mile 5: Grandma Grace. Breast Cancer Survivor.
Mile 6: My dad.
Mile 7: Everyone who got me out the door for a few miles since January, especially Torrey and Taylor
Mile 8: The end to my line segment. Kelly Genei.
Mile 9: Coach Danna. Every time I step out the door in my running shoes, I know you're with me.
Mile 10: My grandfather, who I never really got to know and wish that I had.
Mile 11: My family. Momma, Broheim and Club
Mile 12: Kirsten's dad, who's name I wore proudly on my back.
Mile 13: Kristen, Aly and Jessie
The final .1: Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogBlogs

Followers

Search this blog